If you have dry skin, you already know the constant struggle it requires, and even though you have probably tried all kinds of body lotions and even prescribed creams and ointments, you never seem to solve the problem.
According to Health Line:
“Dry skin is an uncomfortable condition marked by scaling, itching, and cracking. It can occur for a variety of reasons. You might have naturally dry skin. But even if your skin tends to be oily, you can develop dry skin from time to time.
Dry skin can affect any part of your body. It commonly affects hands, arms, and legs. In many cases, lifestyle changes and over-the-counter moisturizers may be all you need to treat it. “
You have surely heard about the amazing effects of essential oils and coconut oil, but if you have not tried them yet, you will be surprised to learn that they are actually the natural dry skin remedy you’ve been looking for.
The following body butter recipe will do wonders for your skin, as it combines the impressive properties of essential oils and coconut oil. Note that the essential oils are photosensitive, they react in the sun, so use this combination as a moisturizing night-time routine only, and wash off in the morning.
Citrus Nighttime Body Butter Recipe
- 4-5 drops of orange essential oil
- 4-5 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 cup of organic coconut oil
- Zest of half an organic orange
- Zest of half an organic lime
- Zest of half an organic lemon
In a small pan, warm the coconut oil for about 20 seconds, and as soon as it softens, transfer it to a mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve any lumps, and add the zest of the three citrus fruits. Stir again, and add the essential oils.
Leave the mixture in the fridge to harden a bit, until it is solid enough to make an indent with your finger. Then, put it in a mixer or blender, and whip until it is fluffy. When done, store it in a jar, and keep it in a cooler place.
Use it on a daily basis, and it will hydrate, soften, and soothe the skin! The effects will astonish you!
The Mayo Clinic provides some additional tips to keep your skin from getting excessively dry:
- Moisturize. Moisturizer seals skin to keep water from escaping.
- Limit water exposure. Keep bath and shower time to 10 minutes or less. Turn the dial to warm, not hot. Try to bathe no more than once a day.
- Skip the drying soap. Try cleansing creams, gentle skin cleansers and shower gels with added moisturizers.
- Cover as much skin as possible in cold weather. Winter can be especially drying to the skin, so be sure to wear a scarf, hat, and gloves when you go out.
- Wear rubber gloves. If you have to immerse your hands in water or are using harsh cleansers, wearing gloves can help protect your skin.