Despite its numerous health benefits and too little calories, celery is still not consumed as often as it deserves.
Namely, this vegetable is usually consumed heavily cooked or covered in a pile of dip, but we are here to encourage you to increase its intake as much as possible.
Celery is a natural way to help weight loss, lower cholesterol, soothe arthritis pain, lower blood cholesterol, and detoxify the body.
It is a member of the Apiaceae family and has been originally grown in the Mediterranean and North Africa, while nowadays, it is cultivated all around the world.
It is a rich source of magnesium, potassium, and calcium, as well as A, B, C, and K vitamins.
Most of its health benefits are due to the presence of phytonutrients, which are plant chemicals with potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that boost the immune system and improve intracellular communication. Moreover, phytonutrients repair toxic damage to DNA and prevent heart disease and cancer.
According to Jillian Levy, CHHC:
“Most people choose to eat celery stalk, but the leaves and seeds of celery are also edible and beneficial. For example, celery leaves make a great addition to stir-fries and soups, so don’t shy away from leaf celery.
Celery seeds — which can be found either in whole seed form, extract form or ground-up — have impressive health benefits on their own, as they help to lower inflammation and to fight bacterial infections. In some parts of the world, celery is grown primarily for its beneficial seeds, which are actually a very small type of fruit. Celery seeds are commonly used as a spice when crushed and contain a special oily compound called apiol that is used as a flavoring agent and for its many medicinal uses.”
Here are the benefits of the regular consumption of celery:
- Improves cholesterol: the consumption of celery will help you lower cholesterol by 7%.
- Lowers blood pressure: Celery lowers blood pressure by 18%.
- Reduces inflammation: Celery lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, or other results of chronic inflammation.
- Improves digestion: The rich fiber content ensures the regularity of bowel movements and supports the function of the intestines.
- Better hydration: Since it is 95% water, celery hydrates the body and prevents dehydration.
- Prevents/stops heartburn and acid reflux: Celery effectively soothes heartburn and acid reflux.
- Helps maintain healthy eyes: The high amounts of vitamin A in celery treat excessive dryness of the eyes and protect the cornea.
- Mosquito repellent: The extract of celery oil repels mosquitoes, and helps you prevent their itchy bites.
- Weight loss: Being rich in fiber and low in calories, celery keeps you full and helps weight loss.
Try eating celery for a week, and its amazing effects on your health will convince you to consume it more often. You will actually be surprised!