The origin of this incredible plant is the Mediterranean basin. It is part of the mint family. You may know by now, we are talking about thymus vulgaris, also known as thyme. Depending on the region it grows, the chemical compounds in the oil distilled from this plant show variations.
Some oils are not safe for usage in some situations due to its powerful microbial properties. Thymus vulgaris ct. linalool is one of the best and safest oils to use.
This oil can be used by both children and adults. It is great to put it in baths or just apply it on the skin.
Thymus vulgaris ct. thymol, thymus vulgaris ct. thujanol and thymus vulgaris c.t carvacrol should be avoided since they contain chemicals and only qualified aromatherapists are able to use them properly. Be careful and use thyme oil in moderation.
You need to have this herb around the house since it has potent bactericidal, antiviral, antibiotic, fungicidal, antispasmodic, diuretic, antiseptic and expectorant properties. It is the perfect solution against cold and flu.
Thyme is also able to destroy microbes. With its regular use you will be able to improve your immune system since it stimulates the formation of white blood cells.
Besides improving the resistance to invading organisms, it also helps the body to eliminate all of the toxins.
In the Greek culture the word ‘thymos’ means ‘to perfume’. The reason for this is its powerful and penetrating, yet warm and herbaceous aroma.
Thyme Health Benefits
Treating respiratory infections is also one of its traditional uses. It is able to treat colds, flues, asthma, sore throats, coughs, whooping coughs, catarrh, bronchitis and laryngitis since it is a great pulmonary disinfectant.
We recommend you to use it in form of a gargle or toothpaste if you are suffering from gingivitis, thrush and other mouth and gum infections.
According to experts, even the 1% solution is extremely effective. German researchers stated that the expiration of the local action of the essential oil on the respiratory tract is the reason why it is effective as cough medicine.
According to one recent study, thyme oil is an effective expectorant that increases the secretion of mucus. So if you have a dry cough, this is the perfect solution for you.
The best way to obtain these benefits of thyme oil is through inhalation in small amounts. This is especially good for treating chronic infections which last longer in the sinuses. However, you may have opposite effects if the inhalation is too strong.
People often use it in order to treat psychological and physical weakness. The regular use of thyme will help you regain strength after illness.
Besides that, it is able to fight against depression, chronic fatigue and insomnia. If you start using it, you will improve your concentration, boost the circulation, increase the low blood pressure and boost your memory and intelligence. Your body and mind will be strengthened, balanced and revived.
Due to its strong antibacterial properties, thyme essential oil acts on the bacteria’s enzymes. It has been used for disinfecting hands before surgery as a soapy solution since it is a strong antibacterial agent and a stronger antiseptic than those used in hospitals.
It is able to kill staph at a dilution of thousand times. According to one French study, you can destroy 90% of microbes within 3 hours when you use thyme in vaporizer. It deodorizes the air and purifies it from staphylococcus, proteus, cryptococcal and streptococcus.
- It is an excellent diuretic and it is able to treat urinary tract and bladder infections.
- If you are suffering from vaginitis and candida, it is the perfect solution for the problem.
- It has the ability to destroy nail fungus.
- It is commonly used in the production of natural hand sanitizers.
- Do not worry when you have rheumatic pain, sports injuries, muscle aches and pains, sciatica, sprains, gout and arthritis. Just add it as a hot compress to get all of its benefits.
- As a first aid on stings and insect bites you should use diluted thyme oil or crushed dried thyme.
- Athlete’s foot can be treated with undiluted thyme oil. The only thing you need to do is to apply it on the affected area. However, use some fatty cream in order to protect your skin.
- When it is used as a face wash, it treats acne and warts.
- It can be also used as a hair tonic.
- Women who have irregular periods need to use it because it stimulates menstruation. For this purpose use it in a bath or massage.
- Kills off parasites.
- Due to the presence of the chemical compound thymol, it speeds up the healing process of skin injuries.
- Keeps the insects away.
- It is able to increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acid DHA in kidney, brain and heart cell membranes.
- When it is combined with cedarwood, lavender and rosemary in a mixture of jojoba and grape seed carrier oils it can treat alopecia. We recommend you to use this mixture to massage your scalp. Do this procedure every day for a few months.
- Use it in blends with grapefruit, bergamot, lavender, and pine in order to prevent irritation.