When we talk about protection against these annoying little insects, the first thing that crosses people’s mind is to use a mosquito repellent. However, when you choose this method, you choose to enter a lot of harmful chemicals in your life.
This is not healthy for you and your family since it can cause extremely dangerous side effects. If you want to enjoy this beautiful summer without these annoying insects, there are a few natural DIY techniques that can help you a lot.
Many people believe that some humans have a specific odor that attracts mosquitoes even though scientists have not yet determined why mosquitoes skip some people and target others.
Mosquitoes are drawn in individuals who have high amount of cholesterol or steroids accumulated in their skin.
However, mosquitoes are mostly attracted by people who have higher amounts of specific acids such as uric acid. The sense of smell in mosquitoes is activated by these compounds.
According to researchers, pregnant women and overweight people are interesting to mosquitoes since they produce larger quantities of CO2. You generate more CO2 if you are involved in some physical activity.
The mosquito bites are not only bad for you because they can be itchy and annoying, but they can also transfer some diseases. That is why you need to be extra careful and protect yourself.
These annoying insects can carry viruses and diseases such as:
- Dengue – as consequence you can have hemorrhagic fever
- Zika – this virus is extremely dangerous and has a connection with birth defects
- Malaria – the symptoms are vomiting, chills and fever
- West Nile – as consequences of this you will experience joint pain, fever, rashes and vomiting
- Chikungunya – rashes, joint pain and nausea are its symptoms
- Rift Valley Fever – results in experiencing weakness, dizziness and eye problems
- La Crosse Encephalitis – leads to nausea and fever
- Snowshoe Hare Virus – rashes, vomiting and dizziness can be experienced as symptoms
- Jamestown Canyon Virus – you will experience symptoms similar to flu symptoms
Official statistics show that in the US alone there are almost 200 different mosquito species. Unfortunately, their number is increasing every single day.
When they are around we need to protect ourselves because of this particular reason. Something as simple as a mosquito bite can lead to something extremely dangerous to your health.
You Can Make the Mosquitoes Go Away With Vitamin B1!
In order to make our body work in a proper way and keep it healthy we need to provide it with thiamine or vitamin B1. Onions, broccoli, summer squash, kale, eggplant, cabbage, spinach, green beans and sunflower seeds are some of the foods that contain this specific vitamin.
If you want to eliminate stress and improve your immune system, you will have to include the vitamin B1 in your everyday diet.
You probably wonder how vitamin B1 is able to help us against mosquito bites. Well, you will be able to create a smell that keeps mosquitoes away when your body has proper amount of vitamin B1.
In case you are curious, this smell cannot be detected by humans so you should not be concerned about your social life.
Additional Natural Remedies
You are also able to make a natural insect spray in the comfort of your own home. There are many recipes for bug sprays you just need to briefly research the Internet.
However, we provided you with one of the simplest natural recipe. For this recipe you are going to need only two ingredients – apple cider vinegar and parsley.
- The first thing you need to do is to put a handful of fresh parsley in a pestle and mortar.
- Pour four ounces of organic apple cider vinegar.
- You need to make sure to mash the ingredients well.
- You need to let the mixture like that for 2-3 hours.
- Before you place it in a clean spray bottle, strain the mixture.
- Keep it in the refrigerator.
- In order to make the scent more pleasant, pour some essential oils such as lavender essential oil.
You need to know that this mixture is completely safe. You will not have to worry about horrible side effects.
If you want to learn how to prepare it, watch the following video: